Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Burial

A poem from the point of view of a Jewish child born in hiding during the Holocaust.
There’s so many things
Of which I could tell
Dark and depressed
Tales of hell.
But I choose to bury
Those words inside
My mind’s a grave
And these are the bodies I hide.
The world outside,
It’s all at war.
“Stay in here,”
My mother says
“Away from all the blood and gore.”
So I’m caged,
A docile pet.
A lion that should be out hunting
But is eating vegetables instead.
“They’ll kill you!”
The voices on the outside whisper.
The monsters they speak of
Prowl on the outside,
Uniformed and stiff
Looking for my people
And if they find us,
Horrors, they will upon us inflict
The ones who help,
Our saviours out in the light-
I know not who they are,
And my family says
We shouldn’t;
We should pretend they don’t exist.
I was born down here,
I’ve never seen the bright:
The only thing I can count on,
That’s constant here, aside from the dark
Is when they open that door
In will reach fingers
Handing us all plates
Then the hands which feed me
Disappear
Swallowed by the effervescence
From which they appeared;
Leaving my family
To decay here
Trapped within our abyss of fear.
“At least it’s safe here for everyone,”
My relatives insist,
More to reassure themselves
Than the rest of us.
But when all’s said and done,
I wonder if we’ll ever leave
Even after

The war’s been won.

No comments:

Post a Comment